Skate Oakville provides competitive sessions for singles skaters wishing to compete in qualifying events within Skate Canada.
Michelle Leigh oversees our singles competitive programs. Michelle is a level 5 NCCP certified coach who has been to three Olympic games with former skaters. She works with talented skaters at all levels; from skaters just out of CanSkate in our Pre Competitive sessions to skaters qualifying for Nationals at our Elite Competitive sessions.
Competitive Levels and Criteria
For skaters that have been identified through the Pre Comp tryout program or invited by the Skating Director or The Directors of the Skating and Competitive Programs or received a referral from a competitive coach. Skaters must be passed CanSkate Stage 5, be under 8 years of age, and display advanced edge control, balance and speed.
The Pre Comp session includes 50 minutes on ice session and a 30-minute off ice session per week. The on-ice sessions will be in a group lesson format working on skating skills, jumps and spins and other exercises to enhance skating development. Off ice will consist of off-ice jumps, fitness, yoga and various other training methods. Skaters may choose a one day or may register for both days of the Pre Comp Program. Besides these training days, skaters must be participating in other sessions to compliment the competitive training program.
For skaters that have been invited up from the Pre-Comp program, or recieved an invitation through a referral from a competitive coach. Skaters must have the ability to land all single jumps, starting to work on axels and display a keen interest in pursuing competitive figure skating.
Skaters in this program will participate in 2 specific training days per week, which include on-ice and off-ice instruction. The on-ice sessions will be in a group lesson format working on skating skills, jumps and spins and other exercises to enhance skating development. Off ice will consist of a variety of training methods and may inlcude off-ice jumps, fitness, yoga and various other training methods. Besides these training days, skaters must be registered and participating in other sessions to compliment the competitive training program.
For skaters competing at the 2017 Sectional Championships (November 2016) or 2017 STARSkate Championships in STAR 4 or higher. Directors of the Skating and Competitive Programs may consider skaters for invitation to the Advanced Competitive Program. The criterion guidelines for invitation include;
• Competing at STARSkate competitions for the 2016-17 season in a STAR 4 category or higher.
• Were in the Competitive B program and are now landing an axel
• Working on all doubles
• Competed in a competitive category at a 2016 Summer Competition
• Skated at least 2 weeks in a competitive summer program
• Skating speed
• Session space and availability
• Off ice participation is mandatory
Skaters in this program will participate in 3 specific training days per week, one of which must be Thursday Competitive skills. Program sessions include on and off ice instruction. Two of the on ice sessions and the Competitive Skills will be in a group lesson format, the other day (Thursday) skaters will be a Freeskate only session where skaters may get private lessons. Off ice classes will include off ice fitness under the direction of Signe Ronka and Figure Skating Boot Camp, off ice jumps and other activities that will enhance the skaters training. Besides these training days, skaters are expected to be participating in other sessions to complement their competitive training programs.
For skaters competing at the 2017 Sectional Skating Championships in the Juvenile singles event or higher. Skaters must have competed at the Juvenile category or higher at a competitive summer competition (these include Detroit, Minto, Summer Sizzle or Thornhill). Directors of the Skating and Competitive Programs may consider skaters for invitation to the Competitive Elite Program. The criterion guidelines for invitation include;
• Competing at 2017 Sectionals (November 2016)
• Ability to land all double jumps and working on double axel and Triples
• Consistency of double jumps and double/double combinations
• Competed in a 2016 Summer Invitational Competition
• Skated at least 4 weeks in a competitive summer program
• Skating speed
• Skater’s age
• Off ice participation is mandatory
• Session space and availability
Skaters in this program will participate in 3 specific training days per week, which include on-ice and-off ice instruction. On ice classes may include group lesson time as well as individual skating time for private lessons and program run throughs. Off ice classes will include off ice fitness under the direction of Signe Ronka and Figure Skating Boot Camp, off ice jumps and other activities that will enhance the skaters training. Besides these training days, skaters are expected to be participating in other sessions to complement their competitive training programs.
Competitive Fees, Policies & Refund Info
Competitive fees are based on the length of the session, how many weeks the session runs, and whether or not any coaching is included on the session.
Mandatory Membership Fees
- The Skate Canada (SC) Fee of $35 is only charged once per year (Sep 1 to Aug 31) and pays for your SC membership and insurance. We forward this fee on to SC on your behalf. The SC Fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The Skate Oakville membership fee of $50 is only charged once per year (Sep 1 to Aug 31) and entitles you to skating on Skate Oakville sessions.
- The Ontario Skaters' Promotional Contest Ticket Booklets at a cost of $80 is our annual fundraiser. Two ticket booklets are included with your registration at a cost of $80. You may sell the raffle tickets to family and friends and keep the money as you have already paid for the booklets. Alternatively you may enter yourself into the raffle and fill out all the tickets with your name. The ticket stubs are due back by Dec 31 so they can be mailed in to be included in the draw. The draw takes place at the March Mania competition.
Full payment of membership fees is required at time of registration. Session fees may be split into 5 monthly installments beginning September 1.
- Refund requests must be in writing or by email to the office at least 24 hours before the class being cancelled.
- The $35 Skate Canada fees are non-refundable for any reason.
- The $50 Skate Oakville fees and $80 fundraising fees are not refundable after the start of the season.
- All refunds are pro-rated from the time of notification.
- Refunds for injury with a doctor’s note will be issued at anytime throughout the program.
We use the same policy for missed classes as the Town of Oakville. "Participants are to attend all classes as scheduled for the program in which they are registered. In the event that a participant is unable to attend a scheduled class(es), make-up classes, refunds, or credits for the missed class(es) will not be provided."
Summer - Monday July 4 to Friday August 19 2016
Pre Season - Tuesday Sept 6 to Friday Sept 23 2015
Main Season - Sunday Sept 25 2015 to Friday March 10 2016
Please see "My Family Calendar" found under "My Account" for your own personalized calendar.
Skate Oakville Volunteer Commitment
Skate Oakville is a not-for-profit organization that requires the support of volunteers to operate. As a parent with a skater (or skaters) registered in any of the Skate Oakville programs listed below, you are required to commit to a number of tasks for the 2016-2017 season. The number of commitments to be completed per family is calculated on a per skater and per program basis, to a maximum of 7 commitments per family. The number of commitments per program is as follows:
- STARSkate A = no commitment
- STARSkate B to D = 1 commitment
- Pre Comp = 1 commitment
- Base Comp = 1 commitment, plus 1 commitment for STARSkate B to D sessions
- Advanced Comp = 2 commitments, plus 1 commitment for STARSkate B to D sessions
- Elite Comp = 2 commitments, plus 1 commitment for STARSkate B to D sessions
- Dance Comp (if not already Volunteering in other Comp program) = 2 commitments, plus 1 commitment for STARSkate B to D sessions
- Synchro Team = 2 commitments, plus 1 commitment for STARSkate B to D sessions
- Maximum of 7 commitments per family
A new feature this year will be your ability to select your volunteer position(s) for the season as part of the online registration process for programs. You will be prompted to select position(s) from a list, similar to the one attached. The number of commitments per position is specified on the list. The positions will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and once the number of volunteers needed per position has been filled, the system will no longer allow you to select that position. The registration system will not automatically calculate the maximum 7 per family. We will need do this manually for you in the office.
You will not be able to complete the registration process without selecting at least one of your volunteer commitments. If you do not select all of your commitments at registration, please keep checking back for new positions as they get posted throughout the year. As such, you may wish to give some thought to your volunteer involvement with the Club this coming year in advance of your on-line registration!
As a reminder for new members, please note that Skate Oakville volunteer obligations must be fulfilled by one of the parents of the skater. High School students may also volunteer to satisfy High School volunteer hours but those volunteer hours do not count towards the Skate Oakville volunteer obligations. If you have any questions on volunteering, please do not hesitate to email the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com.
As you know, Skate Oakville could not operate without the assistance of volunteers to help out at events. As such, each member’s volunteer efforts are greatly valued and appreciated. On behalf of the Board, we thank you in advance for your continued engagement and your dedication to the club.
To apply for these Bursaries you must fill out the following application and submit it to the Skate Oakville office no later than Tuesday May 23 2017.
2015-2016 Results - All Competitions.pdf
2014-2015 Results - All Competitions.pdf
2013-2014 Results - All Competitions.pdf
2012-2013 Results - All Competitions.pdf
2011-2012 Results - All Competitions.pdf
2010-2011 Results - All Competitions.pdf