Options for Boys after Learn to Skate:
- If you have passed stage 5 and want to continue into figure skating, you can sign up for STAR A. This session is a combination of a small group class and freeskate time for skaters to work on their own or with a private coach.
- This is also the time you can consider contacting the Skate Oakville Office to assist in finding a coach that will fit with your schedule and skating needs.
- Under the supervision and guidance of their Coach, male skaters can continue through STARSkate, completing tests to improve skills, dances, elements and technical components
- Figure skates are required for all STARSkate, Competitive Singles, Dance, Pairs and Synchronized Skating programs
- Boys can also continue into Competitive Figure Skating programs at the discretion of their Coach and the Skating Director. In this program, they can progress through age and skill specific competitive levels and work towards competing regionally and beyond.
- The Ice Dance program is under the direction of Coach Mark Bradshaw. With its origins in ballroom, this is a program which focuses on set dance patterns leading up to the creativity of free dance, and focuses heavily on the quality of the footwork, and fluid movement on the ice with a female ice dance partner. Although ice dance can be a stand-alone discipline, it can also greatly enhance the performance and skills set of a competitive figure skater. We do require those who are registered in our ice dance programs to also be registered in a minimum of 2 other STARSkate sessions. Ice dance teams such as Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir have brought this discipline to the forefront.
- Once skating skills are advanced, the boys can also consider Pairs Figure Skating with a female figure skater. This combines team skating skills with figure skating technical elements and has been made popular recently by successes of Canadian teams such as Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford, and Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro. Bruno Marcotte and Meagan Duhamel direct the Competitive Pairs program at Skate Oakville.
- Finally, for the boys who prefer to be a part of a larger team, EDGE Synchronized Skating is available to all boys and focuses on maintaining precise formations and timing through choreographed pieces. While it is true that mostly girls and ladies compete in synchro, men are always encouraged and bring an extra dimension to a team.